About the Role
Swinburne Research is recruiting a skilled, experienced and pro-active Security Officer (Defence) to join a team working towards attaining and then maintaining the university’s membership of the Defence Industry Strategic Program (DISP).
The position will be responsible for a wide and varied range of tasks from providing project management for the processes involved in DISP accreditation, developing and implementing security policies and procedures, providing support and security guidance, liaising with defence-related government agencies and externals, and undertaking administrative work.
The position will support the Research portfolio, working alongside the Chief Security Officer Defence, the Chief of Defence Innovation and with Swinburne’s broader ‘defence facing’ community including researchers and academics, as well as business support and operations’ personnel.
The position will develop excellent relationships with internal and external stakeholders, and apply a high level of due diligence to all activities. It will require the capacity to promote a strong security culture across the University’s defence facing eco-system, facilitate best practice security, support academics and researchers, and operate within relevant legislation, regulatory frameworks, policies and procedures.
To be suitable for this role you will need to have experience in the below key accountabilities:
- Experience in a Defence or Defence research environment with exposure to Defence security requirements including a solid understanding of the Commonwealth’s legislative framework around Defence export controls, autonomous sanctions, foreign interference, foreign influence
- Working knowledge of the Australian Government security related framework, principally the Australian Protective Security Policy Framework (PSPF), Defence Security Principles Framework (DSPF) and Information Security Manual (ISM).
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, with the ability to promote a security culture and good security and risk practices; educate and advise by way of briefings and training; and enable and support others in meeting their security responsibilities
- Track record or demonstrated ability to encourage a compliance-positive culture and support ‘risk based’ change.
- Highly developed organisational, project management and time management skills with excellent attention to detail, proven ability to ensure effective completion of tasks within deadlines as well as prioritise work under pressure and balance conflicting priorities
- Relevant qualification and relevant experience in a Defence related environment or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or training.
- Certified as completing Security Officer Training through the Defence Department.
Please submit your CV and cover letter addressing your suitability for this position.
To review the Position Description and to apply, please scroll down to the bottom of the page.
If you are viewing this advert from an external site, please click ‘apply’ and you will be redirected to Swinburne’s Jobs website to access the Position Description at the bottom of the page.
For more information about this role, please contact Eve at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children Check.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application, please contact the Swinburne Talent Acquisition Team on email@example.com.
Applications Close: Sunday November 26th at 11PM
Swinburne offers flexible working options, leave and parenting/carer policies to support work life balance.
Equity and Diversity
Swinburne is a large and culturally diverse organisation and we are proud of our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion through key initiatives. For further information on all our initiatives visit our Equity & Diversity website.
We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
We are committed to making the recruitment process fair and equitable for all our candidates. If you have specific accessibility or support requirements please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
For any support please contact DeadlyCareers@swin.edu.au or for more information on our Indigenous strategies please follow the link to our RAP Reconciliation Action Plan.
Victoria’s Commitment to Action: Improving international student employment outcomes
As a signatory to Victoria’s Commitment to Action, Swinburne seeks to remove barriers to international graduate employment. We welcome and encourage applications from international graduates.
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.