About the Role
The Technical Services team at Swinburne University are looking for a Senior Technical Officer to join their team.
The Senior Technical Officer - Electrical/Instrumentation is responsible for providing specialised technical support concerning electrical, electronics and instrumentation to the various disciplines, active research centres and the wider Schools community. Under the broad direction of the Laboratory Manager - Engineering Support, the Senior Technical Officer maintains an Electrical, Electronic & Instrumentation Workshop and contributes to the day-to-day operation of nominated undergraduate, postgraduate and research laboratories, workshops, and facilities. This position is broad in scope and requires a high degree of initiative and self-management to deal with the range of functions and tasks.
To be suitable for this role you will need to have experience in the below key accountabilities:
- Experience in the configuration, repair and maintenance of electrical and electronic equipment, instrumentation, robotics and control systems, water pumps, DC motors, single and 3 phase AC motors
- Experience in workshop or laboratory operations including purchasing and preparation of electrical/electronic and robotics/mechatronic related items
- Ability to clearly demonstrate the use, functionality and application of electrical/electronic and mechatronic equipment, transducer technology and data acquisition systems to all students and staff
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills to facilitate the provision of advice and support required by both staff and students
- A qualified Electrical Fitter/Mechanic, or Electrical Technician with a minimum 5 years relevant experience in electrical and electronic fields
About Swinburne University of Technology
Swinburne Horizon 2025 draws upon our understanding of future challenges. With this new strategic plan, we choose to build Swinburne as the prototype of a new and different university – one that is truly of Technology, of Innovation and of Entrepreneurship, and proud of it. We are committed to a differentiated university proposition in education and research, so that:
• Every Swinburne learner gets a work experience
• Every Swinburne graduate gets a job
• Every Swinburne partner gets a tech solution
• Swinburne is the prototype of global best practice
The achievement of our 2025 moon shots depends on our capacity to work collectively, always, as One Swinburne.
Please submit your CV and cover letter addressing your suitability for this position.
To review the Position Description and to apply, please scroll down to the bottom of the page.
If you are viewing this advert from an external site, please click ‘apply’ and you will be redirected to Swinburne’s Jobs website to access the Position Description at the bottom of the page.
Please Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children Check.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application, please contact the Swinburne Talent Acquisition Team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications Close: Sunday 3rd March 2024, 5pm
Swinburne offers flexible working options, leave and parenting/carer policies to support work life balance.
Equity and Diversity
Swinburne is a large and culturally diverse organisation and we are proud of our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion through key initiatives. For further information on all our initiatives visit our Equity & Diversity
We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
We are committed to making the recruitment process fair and equitable for all our candidates. If you have specific accessibility or support requirements please contact email@example.com
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
For any support please contact DeadlyCareers@swin.edu.au
or for more information on our Indigenous strategies please follow the link to our RAP Reconciliation Action Plan
Victoria’s Commitment to Action: Improving international student employment outcomes
As a signatory to Victoria’s Commitment to Action,
Swinburne seeks to remove barriers to international graduate employment. We welcome and encourage applications from international graduates.
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant